Standard Countertop Dimensions
When you are designing your concrete countertop, there are standard dimensions that can help guide your design and make your countertops comfortable to work at.
- Standard countertop height is 36” tall. Comfortable range for most people is 36-38”. Scott Cohen, owner of The Green Scene, recommends designing counters lower than the distance of your client's bent elbow to the ground.
- Bar and serving counter heights vary from 42-46” tall. If your countertop will have bar stools next to it, choose your bar stools ahead of time and let the height of the seat dictate your countertop height. This will make sitting, eating and conversing at the countertop much more comfortable. Bar stools are typically 28” tall but can vary greatly per style and manufacturer.
- Your countertop should cantilever a minimum of 10 inches to allow room for your knees under the counter.
- Standard height for a table top is 30” tall.
- A recommended practice is to measure your appliances and accessories that will be incorporated with your countertop. This way you can calculate how much space is required for your counter.
- Allow for placement of a serving platter between each accessory or appliance on the counter. A good rule of thumb is 16". Photo Credit: The Green Scene